Monday, June 05, 2006

Belt Promotions

I'm sorry it took me so long to post again... My test went well and I was promoted to fourth-degree black belt. (My wife, Brandi, was promoted to second-degree black belt!) Is it quite an honor to be considered a sa bum nim (instructor), but it also quite humbling. I recall when I first started training with Grandmaster Choi, and how I impressed I was with the sa bum nim at the school.

Having been around Grandmaster Choi long enough to earn the rank I have has, if anything, only reinforced how much I still have to learn. (Grandmaster Choi was promoted to EIGHTH-degree black belt by General Choi Hong Hi, the founder of Taekwondo, 25 years ago!) Each rank promotion seems to be like a step closer to the edge of a deep valley; it only serves to show that it is actually deeper than you previously thought!

The most important thing I learn in Taekwondo is respect, and it is obvious why the higher-ranked students at the school seem to have the most of it. Grandmaster Choi's valley of knowledge is VERY deep and it is those of us who are closest to the edge who have the best appreciation for that depth. Whether I'll ever make it to the bottom of that valley is too much for me to consider, but that's not the point. The point is knowing that there's always going to be something deeper to learn and that's what keeps me going back!

No comments: