Monday, February 23, 2009

Welcome to Santiago

Hi!

I'm getting ready for bed after be up for most of the past two days. I arrived at the Phoenix airport just after 10am (local time) yesterday. Things went really smoothly at the check-in counter and through security, so I had well over an hour to kill. Knowing that I'd be sitting for a while, I decided to walk around while I waited for my flight to Atlanta to board. While walking, I found this:



Most graduate business programs advertise on billboards. The fact that Thunderbird advertises at the airport really tells you that they expect their students to be travelers. I'm glad to be in the program!!

During my layover in Atlanta, I had dinner with Jessica Brodnik, a friend I've known since high school but haven't seen in almost 10 years (when she lived in New Hampshire). We ate at Houlihan's in the airport terminal. I was pretty hungry not having eaten on the flight. Here's a picture one of the restaurant employees took of us as we were leaving:



Out in the food court, there is a replica of a dinosaur skeleton. I had to take pictures of it:







I'll bet I can guess the name of the guy who discovered this species! (Yang Chuan anyone?) The flight to Santiago was pretty long. I slept a bit, but it was bad sleep so it only really counts to pass the time. I was watching "Pineapple Express" and it was stopped about two-thirds of the way through as we approached for landing. I'll just have to rent it.

There were three other T-birds on my flight and six more who arrived at around the same time. It took a while to get us all through customs and get our bags (though one guy's bags didn't make it). We ended up renting two vans to take us to the hotel. This took about 30 minutes, but I still ended up at the hotel a couple of hours before my rooms was ready. Some folks in our class arrived yesterday, so I put my bags in someone else's room and walked around a bit. I saw a Subway:



However, I didn't want to eat there. Instead, I ate at Schopdog!





Afterwards, I returned to the hotel and relaxed in my room. I was lucky enough to turn on the TV in time for a showing of "Forrest Gump." I had to hit the SAP button to get the English audio, but it made for a relaxing afternoon. When I went down to sign in, I took this picture from the hotel lobby:



This wasn't the only dog I saw around the city. Dinner, for which we left the hotel at 7:30, was at a rotating restaurant called Giratorio, just around the corner. I had a salmon appetizer, steak, and rice to eat, with a mango sour, wine, and water to drink. It was all very good and nice catching up with some classmates I haven't seen since orientation week. I'm pretty tired and left "early" at around 10:30. When I went to www.blogger.com, the home page looked a bit different:



Different, but some how familiar. Not unlike Santiago. It's a nice city and I'm looking forward to spending time here...

Take care!
Matt

No comments: