Friday, May 15, 2009

Solar System

Hi!

My parents, who live in the Ironwood subdivision of Sun Lakes, recently had solar panels installed on their roof. Here are a couple of pictures of the roof:





The panels are on the south-facing slope, which is ideal, and they cover a pretty good percentage of the surface area. Here are pictures of the control boxes on the side of their house:





The first picture is of the box that takes the DC voltage from the panels and converts it to AC for the house. The second picture (which was taken just on the other side of the wall see to the right of the first) is of the power meters and breaker. During the middle of the day, their old power meter runs backwards!

This was a relatively expensive project, even with the tax breaks, that will take many years to pay-off financially. Financially. It pays off now in environmental impact. My father told me that he needed to do all he could so that he could looks his grandchildren in the eye. I'm proud of my folks for doing this. Sure, I wish they'd voted for Al Gore in 2000 instead of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, but I'll take what I can get...and so will my kids!

Take care!
Matt

No comments: