Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Estoy Apprendiendo Espanol

Hola!

It's been a year since I started studying Spanish on my own. Last July 1st, I started listening to the OnLingo Spanish program on my iPod. Brandi was able to get me the first five levels on eBay. Buying them directly from the company would have cost 10x what she paid for used versions...

I listened to each lesson as often as necessary to get it. My typical listening time was while walking Oscar in the morning and I was good about doing *something* every day. This gave me about 20 minutes of Spanish each morning.

By the end of the year, I had completed all five OnLingo levels and was looking for another option. This is when I found Coffee Break Spanish. I downloaded all of the free podcasts and took the same approach with CBS as I did with OnLingo. The difference is that each CBS lesson is longer, but it has a lot more marketing filler (advertising their "premium" membership).

Since the beginning of the year, I've been less religious about taking in a lesson every day. I'm only through lesson 48 of CBS, though I listen to each lesson at least twice. I didn't do any additional Spanish while in Chile, though I did have Spanish language cartoons on every day in my hotel room...

My Spanish is not great. In fact, I'd be surprised if the title of this post is spelled correctly. (I refused to look it up.) My goal is to learn enough so that if I ever spend a significant amount of time in a Spanish-speaking country I'll have a good baseline.

Gracias!
Matt

No comments: