Tuesday, June 30, 2009

POT

Hi!

At midnight tonight, I'll become a POT (Plain Ol' Toastmaster) again having completed my term as Gila Division Governor. As I was leaving the house this past April to attend the District 3 Conference, I told Brandi that it'd be the last time I'd have to attend a Toastmasters event outside the club for at least five years. I may go to a speech contest, but I won't feel like I have to. Maybe in another five years I'll want to serve as an Area Governor again...

It was an honor to be the Gila Division Governor, but it wasn't fun. I didn't particularly enjoy it. Most District officers seem to think of service as a social activity, but I don't. I ran because I felt like it was my time. It's hard to explain. I feel a strong sense that I should give back to the organization that has helped me. However, I felt like service at the Division level was more about toeing the party line than it was about helping people. I felt like I wasn't expected to think, just do. I felt less like a leader and more like how I'd imagine a worker on an assembly line would feel. Maybe that's what some District officers want, but that isn't for me.

I appreciate the support I received from the Gila Area Governors, my home clubs, and their members. I especially appreciate the support of Brian Carson, who contributed to my campaign fund. I'm glad that Gila Division is President's Distinguished and I'm glad that I served...but I'm REALLY glad that my term is over tonight and I can go back to being a POT.

Thanks,
Matt

No comments: