Friday, June 12, 2009

WWJD

Hi!

I'm a liberal. To me, this means that I'd prefer the government use its resources to help people. Most of us don't have to worry about what we'll eat later or where we'll sleep tonight, or what'll happen if we get sick. That lack of worry allows us to be more productive citizens. Imagine how your productivity would drop if your primary concern every single day was how you were going to get your next meal. There are millions of people in the United States who are less productive at work (assuming they're working) and at school (assuming they're enrolled) because they have these worries. Now, imagine how much more productive our nation would be if no one had these worries.

"But that's communism!" you may shout! No, it's not. Communism is when the government controls the means of production. What I'm proposing is that the government merely ensure that basic needs are met. This is not the same as "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need." Super-productive people will still be better off than those who aren't. The difference is that the super-productive will have a better support system because there won't be any super-unproductive people dragging the system down.

The irony of conservatism is that many conservatives in this country are also Christians. Jesus didn't say, "screw the poor," or "every man for himself." He said,

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.

Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"

(Matthew 25.35-40 ESV)


This is what I'm proposing. Based on his actual quotes in the Bible, you'd have to conclude that Jesus was what today's GOP would call a "hippie, liberal commie." I'm not proposing this just to raise people up, though this is what Jesus would do. I honestly believe that the return on investment in helping people is positive for the country. There will always be a great divide between rich and poor, but the rich don't have to get richer at the expense of the poor getting poorer. We can all win if we only ask WWJD, and then do it.

Thanks,
Matt

No comments: