Friday, June 26, 2009

The Passing of an Icon

To call Michael Jackson a "great artist" is like calling another MJ a great basketball player. Words aren't enough... Since it's going to come up anyway:

Michael Jackson never got to be a kid, so he had no frame of reference. It's easy for those of us who had relatively normal childhoods to know what is and is not "appropriate" behavior for an adult around children. For someone who had no such thing, I imagine, it's near impossible.

I'm glad he was acquitted. I won't remember him as someone accused of child molestation. I'll remember him as the singer of great songs to which I'd roller skate as a kid. Just a few months ago, I attended a birthday party at Stakeland. My only request of the DJ: Play something from "Thriller," please... It really didn't matter what song. They all brought me back...

I was going to post some videos from YouTube, but there are just too many from which to choose. I recommend everyone visit and watch something. Whether it's the video for "Thriller" that made MTV, "Man in the Mirror" from the 1988 Grammy Awards, or any of the others.

The world lost an icon, the "King of Pop," but let's not forget that three kids lost their dad, some lost their brother, others lost their uncle, and even more lost their friend. Yesterday was sad day...

No comments: