Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!!

Hi!

First, I'd like to wish all the fathers out there a Happy Father's Day! This is my ninth, though the first was before Joshua was born, but it never gets old.

The only difference between this and a typical Sunday is that I normally get up early and walk the dog. I didn't set the alarm and Oscar didn't get me up, so I slept until 7:30. Brandi and the kids got me a few books, a video game for our Wii, and device I can use to digitize my old VHS tapes. This should lead to some good YouTube and/or Facebook posts...when I get a chance to use it.

This morning, I went out for a bit with my brother, whose son, Alexander, is still in Romania. I talked with my dad, who is in Sedona watching the U.S. Open on television. My grandmother called from Memphis. It was nice to hear from her. This is only her second Father's Day without Granddaddy, so I'm sure it means a lot to get to talk to "her boys." This afternoon, I'm messing around with the computers and doing some cleaning...

I understand why Mother's Day is considered an opportunity for Mom to do something for herself and Father's Day is considered an opportunity for Dad to spend "quality time" with the kids. I don't think either should happen only once per year, though. The reason I think today shouldn't be anything special is because I always try to spend quality time with the kids. Like a lot of people I know, I'm very busy, but I try not to let that get in the way of what's most important.

Last night, I was trying to get some stuff done before going swimming with the kids. Jacqueline was bored and was REALLY letting us know it. We ended up getting in the pool about an hour earlier than I had planned. It was nice. We swam for ~90 minutes, then I fixed the kids something to eat. Brandi went grocery shopping by herself (which is orders of magnitude easier without the kids) and Jacqueline was already asleep by the time she got home. Joshua was asleep soon after. It worked out nicely.

Today is just another day, but I wouldn't have it any other way. That just means that I'm trying hard to be a good father every day, not just one Sunday each June...

Thanks,
Matt

No comments: