Friday, March 13, 2009

Ignite Phoenix - The heART of Investing

A couple of weeks ago, Brian Carson, my Toastmasters club President and friend, presented during the Ignite Phoenix event on February 25th. His presentation was titled "The heART of Investing" and can be see here. Here is my evaluation of Brian's presentation:

I'm going to go with the "sandwich" approach... First, great message! Brian is a VERY credible source of badgering (I mean, information) on volunteerism. He is truly a shining example of someone who is successful at work, great with his family, but still actively involved in his community.

Second, what is the dress code for Ignite Phoenix? I'm not one to give fashion advice, but I have to comment on Brian's color choices. Wearing black and red on a dark stage made him difficult to see. His body movement and gestures were good and would have made a greater impact had he been dressed in lighter clothes.

Finally, Brian uses humor VERY well. I love that his humor is ALWAYS self-deprecating, even if his stapling gag fell a bit flat at first. It's easy to make fun of others to boost yourself; it's much harder (and requires more confidence) to boost others by making fun of yourself.

Overall, I loved Brian's message and his passion for it. A little better understanding of (and preparation for) the venue would have helped, but that didn't take away from his main point. I hope to see Brian present at Ignite Phoenix again in the future...

No comments: