Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How to Effectively Use Social Networking

Hi!

This is more of an open letter than a guide, as I really don't know. I started blogging and using LinkedIn a while ago, but am new to Facebook and Twitter. They both seem like useful tools, so what's my problem? My problem is this: How can I use these tools without them turning into something that controls me rather than the other way around? To really be "social" on these sites, one must be on them often. My goal is to be "social" to I'm struggling to find the balance.

(Disclosure: I recently completed a CareerLeader assessment as part of the Career Management Seminar at Thunderbird. I earned very high interpersonal effectiveness scores in Ability to Teach, Assertiveness, Comfort with Differences, Empathy Skills, Influence, Oral Communication, Respect for Others, and Sensitivity and Tact. I earned a low score in Sociability.)

These days, sociability often means using social networking sites effectively. It's MUCH easier to maintain relationships on-line than it is in person. This is especially true when those with whom we want to maintain relationships are geographically dispersed. The key is "effectively." If I have to use several different sites to do this, I'm not being very effective.

I recently found a way to update my Twitter and Facebook status at the same time using a Facebook app. This helps, but it forces my Facebook update to have the same character limitations as a Twitter update. What about my blog posts? What'd be really, REALLY cool is a nice front end for all these sites. I write a blog post and can automatically add a link to it to Facebook and Twitter. LinkedIn has a "What are you working on now?" option in the main page. Why not link this with Twitter and/or Facebook...or at least provide the option?

I'm sure these tools will evolve and some day we'll look back on having to do multiple updates with the same feelings we get about having to get up change the channel on the TV. For now, though, I'll have to accept some measure of inefficiency in order to improve my on-line sociability...

Thanks,
Matt

No comments: