Thursday, April 23, 2009

Why I Keep Training

Hi!

This week, Brandi was diagnosed with a broken bone in her left ankle. It had been bothering her for a while and it was an injury to her left foot that thwarted her third degree test a couple of years ago. (She'll say now that she wishes she had tested in spite of the pain, because we had no reason to believe it'd take her out for so long.) Brandi's wearing a boot and is supposed to be on crutches. We don't really know what'll happen.

I went with Joshua to class on Monday. It was the first time he'd been to class in about a month. Jacqueline hasn't been in a while. We decided when we started that we wouldn't force the kids to go. We'd rather them think of martial arts training as a part of their lives, as opposed to an "activity" that they "do" before replacing it with another "activity" that they "do." (This is in response to hearing parents say that their "kid does karate." I prefer to think of my kids as becoming martial artists.)

This is essentially why I keep training. I have become a martial artist. Even when I wasn't actively training (or "doing karate") due to injury, other commitments, or just plain frustration with not being able to find a suitable place, I still considered myself a martial artist. I train now because I've found a school I like, people I love to be with, and really enjoy it! Martial arts is a part of me. At the risk of using a cliche: It's not just what I do, it's who I am.

I'm usually at the Intel Ocotillo class on Thursday nights, but haven't been feeling well. Last week I attended a board meeting for Desert Sun instead, so it's been a few weeks. I miss it. I miss the workout and the people. I missed the weapons class at S&H Tuesday. It's been a tough week, but I've had tougher. What's great about these folks is that I know they miss me, too. We've got a good thing going and I'm sure that someday Brandi and the kids will be a bigger part of it, and that's why I keep training...

Take care!
Matt

No comments: