Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Coffee: Rainforest Blend

Hi!

I bought coffee at Whole Foods yesterday and thought I'd share my experience with my reader(s). First a bit of background: I love coffee. I pretty much only drink water and coffee. I drink wine every now and then, very rarely drink soda, and much more rarely anything else. I drink coffee every day. I gave it up for about eight months starting right after Thanksgiving in 2006. In August of 2007, though, Brandi and I visited Costa Rica and that was that. We toured a coffee plantation and I not only fell off the wagon, but then ran from it screaming. Costa Rican coffee is so good that it got Brandi hooked, too. Previously, I couldn't even make coffee at home because she didn't like the smell...

Anyway, I paid $11.99 per pound for what was called "Limited Edition Rainforest Blend, Light Roast." It is described as having "sweet aromas of cocoa and toasted almonds balanced with a mild citrus sparkle and a long caramel finish." Here's what the beans look like:



I only buy whole bean coffee and never more than a pound at a time. It's best when ground right before brewing and when the beans haven't been sitting around for too long. I used to store the beans in the freezer, but don't do that anymore. I use filtered (reverse osmosis) water from our in-home system and own a small (four cup) Mr. Coffee system. To make four cups of coffee, I grind about four tablespoons of beans.

The first time I drink any kind, I drink it black to get the full measure of the flavor. I don't know about "citrus sparkle" or "caramel finish" but it's pretty good. (Note: I think that coffee is a lot like wine in this sense. The big difference, of course, is that coffee is cheaper and you can always change the taste with cream and sugar.) I'll add creamer to my next cup, but never sugar. It's not a philosophical thing; I just don't like sugar in my coffee. To each their own.

After I finish all the Rainforest Blend, I'll buy another and write about that, too.

Take care!
Matt

No comments: