Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hummingbird Haven

Hi!

Brandi sent me a link to this post today. The blog is called "Hummingbird Haven" and it is described as "glimpses of our radical unschooling family living and learning in northeast Florida." Here's an excerpt from the post:

I haven't always been a parent who trusts her children. When the kids were young, I had chore lists and arbitrary rules and bedtimes and food restrictions and I could see the damage it was doing to my kids and our relationship. It was easy to be a traditional rule- based parent and I was good at and could have justified it all day long. But, why would you continue doing something that is damaging your relationship with your children just because you're surrounded by people who are doing it?

I had a choice. I could continue on that path or find another way to parent. I chose trust and found a way through radical unschooling to become a parent who values the relationship I have with my kids much more than obedience. I value them as the amazing individuals that I live with too much to force them through rules or punishment to do things like clean the kitchen, mow the lawn, feed the dog, make your bed, eat your vegetables, go to bed because I think it's time, be in by 12:00 sharp because at 12:01 you are grounded!!

Trust was the key. It lead to caring deeply for each other and love and mutual respect and lots of fun and laughter. I've gone on and on and I know for the most part I'm preaching to the choir here but sometimes something happens and it just hits you and makes you thankful for your life and your kids and and the laughter and the fun and the friends around the world who have chosen this lifestyle too...


What makes this way "radical" is not that it's unnatural, but that it's uncommon...and that is unfortunate. Choices. Caring. Trust. Respect. Love. These are the cornerstones of good relationships. Most parents would unequivocally state that's the kind of relationship they want to have with their kids, but too often parents (in the heat of a difficult moment) will behave in such a way as to break down those cornerstones. It's hard, especially in the heat of the moment, and I'm not perfect...but I'll strive to be because my kids are worth it.

Thanks!
Matt

1 comment:

Ronnie said...

I love Gail and her words, but it was your last paragraph that was new to me here, so I loved it most of all! :-)