Monday, January 05, 2009

Hissy and Chippy

Hi!

Yesterday, I promised a post on our cockroaches, so here it is. Joshua's Kindergarten class at Desert Sun had Madagascar hissing cockroaches as class pets. When one had babies, the teacher offered the progeny to the students. Joshua (and Jacqueline) both thought this was a great opportunity to expand the menagerie that is our household. At first, I balked. I mean, who wants to welcome cockroaches into their home? Joshua made a good case, though: He said that they're not vermin because they're pets and they don't have diseases because they were born in captivity. I relented. Joshua's is named Hissy and Jacqueline's is Chippy. Here's a photo of their habitats:



Here's a close-up of Chippy:



Hissy likes to hang out right under the lid, so I couldn't get a good picture of him. I assume (and let the kids assume) that Joshua's is male and Jacqueline's is female. This justifies our keeping them separate. In fact, we have no idea but don't want to take a chance. The Wikipedia site explains how to tell male from female, but I'd still prefer not to take a chance.

One nice thing about cockroaches is they're hearty pets, as you might expect. The kids totally ignored them for a couple of months and with a little water and food, they bounced right back. Two days of the same treatment would kill most fish. Of course, "pet" is not what we do with them...but that's also true of fish. In a future post, I'll introduce our real "pets."

Thanks,
Matt

No comments: