Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wedding Toast

Hi!

On October 15th, 2005, I had the opportunity to deliver a toast to my brother and his bride. This kind of speech is usually better known for being done poorly than well. I think I did a pretty good job, but you can judge for yourself:



Here's what I did (or didn't do) that, in my opinion, makes this a pretty good wedding toast speech:

  • I didn't speak for very long. Seriously, no one wants these speeches to go on forever. Get to the point and sit down!
  • I didn't mention any "exes." That's seriously bad form regardless of how it's done.
  • I used humor that wasn't really at anybody's expense, except for the soup bit. Everyone could laugh without feeling like they were putting anyone down.
  • I wrote something that was both original and personal to BOTH the bride and the groom. Often, these speeches are given in such a way as to play off the relationship between the speaker and either the bride or the groom. It should be about both of them.

If you'd like to give a speech that is both well-received by the audience and appreciated by the bride and groom, please keep those points in mind. I think mine went over pretty well...

Thanks,
Matt

No comments: